We use cookies to improve your experience, some are essential for the operation of this site.

St Wilfrid, Calverton, Nottinghamshire

(53°2′11″N, 1°4′47″W)
SK 618 492
pre-1974 traditional (England and Wales) Nottinghamshire
now Nottinghamshire
  • Simon Kirsop

Please use this link to cite this page - https://www.crsbi.ac.uk/view-item?i=7959.

Find out how to cite the CRSBI website here.

Feature Sets

The church consists of a nave, chancel and W tower with S porch and a 20thc. vestry in the N angle of tower and nave. The building has a somewhat complicated architectural history. The church was rebuilt in the 14thc. using many of the old stones, as can be seen outside on the N wall of the chancel. In 1499 money was left for the construction of a rood loft; the incisions in the impost blocks of the chancel arch may date from this time. Between 1760-63 the nave and tower were largely rebuilt and the windows in both nave and tower replaced with round headed ones. The chancel was rebuilt in 1835. There was a further restoration of the building in 1881 when the nave windows were replaced and the sculptural fragments described below (VI Loose Sculpture) came to light when the floor of the nave was lowered by two feet.


The Archbishop of York's manor of Blidworth had a berewick at Calverton in 1086, with a church and priest. Other holdings at Calverton were Wulfric's, held from Roger de Poitou, and Thegn Aelfric's. Neither of these included a priest or a church.


Interior Features


Chancel arch/Apse arches

Interior Decoration


The small figure in the sculpted panel on the chancel arch is identified by Pevsner as St Wilfrid, to whom the church is dedicated. The figure to his side is usually identified as a newly baptised convert. However, as the freeing of slaves was a distinguishing feature of the bishop's career it could be that the bishop is shown in the act of manumission.

The reused voussoirs could well have come from the old Norman W door. The carved stone panels may well represent the remaining portion of the seasons. Their original purpose is uncertain. Du Boulay Hill suggests that they might have formed part of a doorway, though their shape would seem to preclude them from being set in an arch.

The loose fragment could well have been part of the bowl of a font. The font currently in use in the church is 19thc. and of similar design.

A. Du Boulay-Hill, 'Calverton Church', Transactions of the Thoroton Society, 12 (1908), 31-36.
J. C. Cox, County Churches: Nottinghamshire, London, 1912, 53.
T. O. Hoyle, A Guide to Calverton Parish Church, n.p. n.d.
N. Pevsner and E. Williamson, The Buildings of England: Nottinghamshire, 2nd ed., London, 1979. Reprinted (with corrections)1997, 88-89.