We use cookies to improve your experience, some are essential for the operation of this site.

Kilmakilloge Church, Clonattin

(52°40′44″N, 6°16′14″W)
T 17 60
pre-1974 traditional (Republic of Ireland) Wexford
now Wexford
  • Rachel Moss
  • Tessa Garton

Please use this link to cite this page - https://www.crsbi.ac.uk/view-item?i=13780.

Find out how to cite the CRSBI website here.

Feature Sets

A ruined church centrally located within a D-shaped cemetery surrounded by an earthen bank. A portion of the N wall (c.11.5m) and the W wall (c.2.6m) remain standing to a height of roughly 3m. The church originally had a separate nave and chancel (Moore 1996, 125).


The church is thought to have been a cell of Ferns Abbey. It apparently no longer belonged to Ferns in 1541. In 1641 the lands on which it stands were granted to the Ram family, descendants of Dr. Thomas Ram, Bishop of Ferns. The initial destruction of the church appears to have been by insurgents in the 1798 rebellion. The church was in ruins by 1826 (Brewer) and by 1840 (OS letters) was more or less leveled.


Loose Sculpture


Hore (1911) recorded traces of a doorway in the west gable 'now reduced to a formless breach', but with stones scattered around. Moore (Archaeological Inventory of County Wexford) records indications of an entrance to the cemetery at the NW corner, and twelve cut stones from a Romanesque doorway at the W end gable. Sixteen Romanesque stones were found at the site in 2002, and correspond closely to Hore's illustrations and reconstruction of the arch. The decoration of the doorway with fret pattern, frontal chevron, and foliage capitals, is closely related to the W doorway at Freshford. Hore also illustrated a capital with a crouching human figure on the face and a human head at the angle, similar to the capitals with angle heads at Freshford.


A. Gwynn, and R. N. Hadcock, Medieval Religious Houses, Ireland, London 1970, 198.

J. N. Brewer, The Beauties of Ireland; being Original Deliniations, Topographical, Historical and Bibliographical of each County, 3 vols, London 1865-60, II, 656.

P. H. Hore, A History of the Town and County of Wexford, Wexford, 1904?, London 1911, Vol. 6, 654-58.

M. O'Flanagan, (compiler) Letters Containing Information Relevant to the Antiquities of Wexford collected during the Progress of the Ordinance Survey in 1840, 2 vols, Bray, 1933, vol.1, 10.

M. Moore, An Archaeological Inventory of Co. Wexford, Dublin, 1996, 125.

T. O'Keeffe, 'Diarmait Mac Murchada and Romanesque Leinster: four twelfth-century churches in context', Journal of the Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland 127, 1997, 64.