We use cookies to improve your experience, some are essential for the operation of this site.

St Bartholomew, Ubley, Somerset

(51°19′15″N, 2°40′38″W)
ST 529 582
pre-1974 traditional (England and Wales) Somerset
now Somerset
medieval Wells
now Bath & Wells
  • Robin Downes
5 November 2009

Please use this link to cite this page - https://www.crsbi.ac.uk/view-item?i=3115.

Find out how to cite the CRSBI website here.

Feature Sets

Ubley, Somerset (‘Ubba’s leah = clearing’) is a nucleated settlement (in contrast to the scattered dwellings of the neighbouring parish of Nempnett Thrubwell) in a privileged position in the upper Yeo valley, about 9 miles S of Bristol. Cradled between hills to N and S, it rests at an altitude of about 60m above OD on Mercia Mudstone (formerly known as Keuper Marl). Communications E and W are easy, along the A368 Bath - Weston-super-Mare road 400m S of the church and the village centre; N (towards Bristol, 10 miles distant) and S (towards Wells, 8 miles distant), although not so easy, are feasible. The church and nearby manor house lie near the crossroads which forms the village centre. It comprises west tower, nave, north aisle, north porch, south aisle, and chancel. It is mostly of the 13thc and later, and the overall impression is Perpendicular. The sole surviving Romanesque element is the font.


In 1086 Ubley was held by Gilbert FitzTurold, with Walter as tenant. It was held by Eadric in 1066.





The official listing text for the church describes the font as possibly 13thc, but stylistically it appears to be Romanesque. The corner lobes are an unusual and rather odd idea. Clearly an example of the N Somerset fashion for a design based on that of the Romanesque cushion capital, this font should be compared with others in the immediate vicinity (e.g., at Hinton Blewett and Cameley).

  1. F. Arnold-Forster, Studies in Church Dedications (London, 1899), III, 288.

Historic England listing 1129654

  1. N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol (Harmondsworth, 1958), 272.