We use cookies to improve your experience, some are essential for the operation of this site.

St Laurence, Long Eaton, Derbyshire

(52°53′54″N, 1°16′12″W)
Long Eaton
SK 492 337
pre-1974 traditional (England and Wales) Derbyshire
now Derbyshire
medieval Lichfield
now Derby
  • Richard Jewell
07 April 1990

Please use this link to cite this page - https://www.crsbi.ac.uk/view-item?i=3768.

Find out how to cite the CRSBI website here.

Feature Sets

Long Eaton is a town on the River Trent about seven miles SW of Nottingham. The church lies to the centre of the town and is a rubble stone building with quoins and ashlar. The original church was built at the order of King Cnut the Great in 1025, but was rebuilt in the Romanesque period. The 12thc structure consisted of a nave and a chancel, to which a W tower was added in the 15thc. In 1868 George Edmund Street transformed the Romanesque church into the S aisle, and added to the structure a new chancel, a nave and a N aisle with N vestry. Romanesque sculpture survives on the S doorway and other fragments of similar date reset into the exterior S walls of the S aisle and the chancel chapel.


The Domesday Survey records that 'Aitone' was a possession of St John the Baptist's Church at Chester. It valued £8. From the earliest times Long Eaton was a chapel of Sawley, whose vicar supplied a chaplain to perform the services; only in 1838 was it made a parochial chapelry, and in 1864 an independent vicarage.


Exterior Features


Exterior Decoration


The S doorway dates to c.1135; John Charles Cox (1879), 395, also says that the doorway was probably decorated during the reign of King Stephen.

The majority of the carved Romanesque fragments reset into the present building came to light in 1868 during the rebuilding of the church by George Edmund Street, described by Cox (1879), 395, as "a happy and well carried out scheme".


J. C. Cox, Notes on the Churches of Derbyshire, vol. 4, Chesterfield, London and Derby 1879, 395-7.

N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Derbyshire, London 1953, 174.