We use cookies to improve your experience, some are essential for the operation of this site.

St Bartholomew, Holmer, Herefordshire

(52°4′39″N, 2°43′25″W)
SO 505 424
pre-1974 traditional (England and Wales) Herefordshire
now Herefordshire
medieval Hereford
now Hereford
  • Ron Baxter
22 June 2006

Please use this link to cite this page - https://www.crsbi.ac.uk/view-item?i=4211.

Find out how to cite the CRSBI website here.

Feature Sets

Holmer is on the northern edge of Hereford, alongside the Leominster road. It is effectively a Hereford suburb now, and the account in Littlebury’s Gazetteer describes the beginnings of the process of absorption. In 1861 the population of the civil parish of Holmer and Shelwick was 1,083. By 1871 it had grown to 1,905, and this rapid growth is explained by the “facility afforded for the erection of houses, allotments of land being easily obtained.” That account lists the growing of wheat, barley, fruit and hops among the activities of the parish, along with the manufacture of bricks and tiles. Even today Holmer parish is largely agricultural, and Hereford only impinges on the southern part of the village.

The church stands alongside the busy Leominster road, and consists of a long nave and chancel in one with a detached tower alongside the nave on the S side, and a parish room recently added at the W end. The S chancel doorway is of c.1200 but very plain. The S nave doorway and the nave and chancel windows are all early to mid 13thc. The S porch is later, of stone and timber. The lower storey of the tower is early 13thc, with plain lancets, while the upper storey is timber-framed and has a pyramid roof. The church was repaired and reseated by J. H. Evins of Hereford in 1859-60. The chancel S doorway is the only Romanesque feature.


Holmer was listed among the lands of the canons of Hereford cathedral in 1086. There was just one hide of ploughland.


Exterior Features



The chancel doorway, with its curious arch and marked chamfers, may well date from the same early 13thc campaign as the earliest nave and chancel windows and the ground storey of the tower.


A. Brooks and N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire. New Haven and London 2012, 369-70.

Herefordshire Sites and Monuments Record 9452.

Littlebury’s Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-77, 334-37.

G. Marshall, “The Detached Church Towers of Herefordshire,” Transactions of the Woolhope Naturalists’ Field Club, 1943, 132.

N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire. Harmondsworth 1963, 195.