We use cookies to improve your experience, some are essential for the operation of this site.

Holy Trinity, Littlebury, Essex

(52°1′56″N, 0°12′35″E)
TL 517 394
pre-1974 traditional (England and Wales) Essex
now Essex
medieval London
now Chelmsford
  • Ann Hilder
  • Michael Pearson
  • Ron Baxter
September 2013 (MP), 13 August 2015 (RB)

Please use this link to cite this page - https://www.crsbi.ac.uk/view-item?i=4903.

Find out how to cite the CRSBI website here.


Located at the southern edge of the village at a crossroads on what was once the A11, now the B1383. The road from here between Littlebury and Audley End to the south was new in 1811, the original link being further west. The church comprises chancel, nave with aisles of three bays each, north and south porches and a west tower. The oldest part of the church is the nave, which dates from the 11thc-12thc. Aisles were added in the 13thc and a W tower in the 14thc.The building was radically reworked in two phases during the nineteenth century (1847 & 1856-58). Previously there had been major reconstruction in the late C15 and early C16 (L. Sanders and G. Williamson, 36). Construction is of lint rubble with detailing in clunch. Romanesque features described here are the south nave doorway and the font.


Littlebury was held as a manor by Ely Abbey in 1086 and before the Conquest. It was assessed at 25 hides, with woodland for 160 pigs, 55 acres of meadow and 4 mills. It was a substantial manor with 65 inhabitants listed, equivalent to a population of some 300 souls. No church was recorded in Domesday, but there is documentary evidence of clergy in Littlebury in the medieval period – Tubert in the mid-11thc, Martin around 1163 to 1189 and Walter the clerk in 1222 (L. Sanders and G. Williamson)


Exterior Features




Piscinae/Pillar Piscinae


The reset S doorway is no later than 1200 but no earlier than 1180. Bettley and Pevsner describe the font as transitional, and the form of the piscina shaft suggests the same date.


J. Bettley and N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, Essex. Yale University Press 2007. 543-545

J. Cooper, The Church Dedications and Saints’ Cults of Medieval Essex, Lancaster 2011, 147.

W. N. Paul, Essex Fonts and Font Covers. Baldock, 1986

L. Sanders and G. Williamson (ed), Littlebury, A Parish History, 2005.

G. Worley, Essex, a Dictionary of the County mainly Ecclesiological. London 1915, 162

P. A. Wright, The parish church of Holy Trinity, Littlebury. 1947 (ERO)