We use cookies to improve your experience, some are essential for the operation of this site.

St Peter, Tilton on the Hill, Leicestershire

(52°38′35″N, 0°54′12″W)
Tilton on the Hill
SK 743 056
pre-1974 traditional (England and Wales) Leicestershire
now Leicestershire
medieval St Peter
now St Peter
  • Richard Jewell
  • Ron Baxter
  • Jennifer Alexander
  • Ron Baxter
22 Oct 1989 (RJ), 2 September 2014 (JA), 2 March 2023 (RB)

Please use this link to cite this page - https://www.crsbi.ac.uk/view-item?i=6870.

Find out how to cite the CRSBI website here.


Tilton on the Hill is a village in the Harborough district of E Leicestershire, 8 miles S of Melton Mowbray and 10 miles E of the centre of Leicester. The church stands in the centre of the village and is built of coursed ironstone rubble with limestone dressings. It consists of a W tower with a spire, a nave with aisles and a clerestorey, and a chancel. The lowest part of the tower and the tower arch are late-12thc, as is the S chancel doorway. The nave arcades are late 13thc, the chancel 14thc and later, and the upper parts of the tower 13thc with a 14thc recessed spire. The N arcade was built uncomfortable close to the tower arch and the chancel arch, perhaps as a result of a shortage of space for the N aisle. The Romanesque features treated here are the tower arch, the S chancel doorway and the font.


Robert Despenser held 3 carucates of land in Tilton in 1086, and among its residents was a priest, suggesting that the church was in this holding. The king held 2 carucates, and Hugh held 1 carucate from the Archbishop of York. This holding was held by Gytha before the Conquest, and belonged to the almsland of Southwell Minster, presumably explaining why it was held from Hugh by a further subtenant in Friendai. In the 12thc. the church of Tilton, together with its subsidiary chapels of Whatberge and Mordefelde, were given by Everard and Waleran (Digby?) to the priory of Laund; which was confirmed by Henry II.


Exterior Features


Interior Features


Tower/Transept arches




The tower arch is Transitional, late 12thc., the font mid-12thc. Nichols's engraving, from a drawing of 1794 and reproduced here includes a tiny image of the font which appears to show a narrow band of square divided ornament running round the outside of the bowl.


Tilton on the Hill on the Great English Churches website

Historic England Listed Building, English Heritage Legacy ID: 190637

J. Nichols, The History and Antiquities of the County of Leicester, 4 vols, London 1795 – 1810-11, vol. 3 pt 1, 470 and pl.lxvii.

  1. Pevsner and E. Williamson, The Buildings of England: Leicestershire and Rutland, New Haven and London 2003, 411.