We use cookies to improve your experience, some are essential for the operation of this site.

St Michael, Sunninghill, Berkshire

(51°24′31″N, 0°38′59″W)
SU 940 686
pre-1974 traditional (England and Wales) Berkshire
now Windsor and Maidenhead
medieval Salisbury
now Oxford
  • Ron Baxter
18 August 1991

Please use this link to cite this page - https://www.crsbi.ac.uk/view-item?i=11714.

Find out how to cite the CRSBI website here.

Feature Sets

Sunninghill is in the extreme SE of Berkshire, 4 miles E of Bracknell and 1½ miles N of the Surrey border. The Roman road to Calleva (Silchester) runs a mile south of the village. It is on the SW edge of Windsor Great Park, and is characterised by large houses and parks like its neighbours of Sunningdale and Ascot. The church stands at the northern edge of the village, and is largely a rebuild by Richard Hayter and James Pither of 1826. The 12thc W doorway of the former church was recovered from a demolished house in 1926 and incorporated into the 1826 church (see Tyack (2010). The present church has a 4 bay nave; north and south aisles; a west tower with a porch beneath; and a 2-bay chancel with north vestry and south chapel. On the north side of the church is a parish room extension, linked to the vestry.


The manor was not recorded in the Domesday Survey, when it apparently was part of Cookham. In 1255 Geoffrey de Baggesate died siezed of a serjeantry called Baggeset, which passed to his female relatives including his cousin Alice de Froxle. By the 1270s it was held by Hugh de Froyle (sic). The church meanwhile was granted by King John to the nuns of Bromhall in 1200, and they held it until their priory was dissolved in 1522.


Exterior Features



A. Mee (ed.), The King's England: Berkshire. London, 1939, 180-82.

N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England. Berkshire. Harmondsworth, 1966, 233.

G. Tyack, S. Bradley and N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England. Berkshire. New Haven and London 2010, 544-45.

Victoria County History: Berkshire III (1923), 134-36.